top of page

Private Patients

This is the most common type of coverage. If you are a private patient you may have some coverage through a work benefits plan or a spouse’s benefit plan. Check with your plan to see how much physiotherapy coverage they provide. Most plans do not require a Doctors referral but you should check with your specific plan.

Motor Vehicle Accidents

If you have been involved in a car accident or other motor vehicle related accident then you will be eligible for coverage for physical therapy. Your initial visit will determine which source of insurance will cover your treatment and how that process will occur. For most soft-tissue injuries your insurer will automatically cover your initial visits. In this situation we do all the billing directly to your insurance company and all you have to do is worry about getting better. In some cases where the injuries are deemed to be more serious, you may be asked to exhaust any extended health benefits you have first and then the auto insurance company will pay for any further treatments you may require. We won’t know which category you fall into until after your initial assessment has been completed. Your physiotherapist will explain to you your diagnosis and how the process will work. We will work with you to ensure this is as smooth and easy a process as possible.

Workers Compensation Board Claims

If you have been involved in an injury at work or if you think your injuries are a result of ongoing repetitive use at work then you will need to file a report with the workers compensation board. In this situation your initial assessment will always be covered by the WCB because they require a physiotherapist’s diagnosis in order to make a decision regarding your claim. You will not be required to pay anything on your first visit. If you suspect that your injuries are work related it is very important to tell your physiotherapist, even if you are not sure what to do.


Veteran's Affairs

We are pleased to be a service provider for Veteran’s Affairs Canada. If you are a veteran you may be entitled to physiotherapy funding under the Blue Cross Veteran’s program. Please contact us directly at 403-242-1111. We will need some information from you so that we can pre-authorize your treatment. Once this is set up you will not have to worry about making any payments for your treatment. We will direct bill Veteran’s Affairs for you.


Military Services

We are proud to be one of Calgary’s only service providers of physiotherapy funding for the Canadian Military. If you are a member of the Canadian Military please contact us directly at 403-242-1111 so that we can get pre-authorization for your treatment. Once authorized, you will not be required to make any payments in the clinic. We will look after direct billing Military Services for you.

Alberta Health Services Outpatient & Community Physiotherapy

Alberta Health Services (AHS) offers funded physiotherapy services for Albertans with specific physical concerns to help improve their function, better understand their condition and what they can do to be healthy and independent. The services cover concerns including:

  • General joint or muscle conditions or injuries

  • Recent fractures or orthopedic surgeries (e.g. bones and joints)

  • Recent hip or knee replacements through group intervention.

Richmond Physiotherapy & Massage contracts with AHS to provide physiotherapy for General joint or muscle conditions or injuries
and recent fractures or orthopedic surgeries (e.g. bones and joints). Richmond Physiotherapy & Massage does not provide physiotherapy for recent hip or knee replacements through group intervention.

Accessing AHS-funded Physiotherapy

Albertans do not need a referral from a physician or healthcare professional to access AHS-funded physiotherapy. Here’s how to access services for each concern:

For general joint or muscle conditions or injuries:
Call the Rehabilitation Advice Line for general advice. Low-income Albertans may be eligible for virtual or in-person services. Call 1-833-379-0563 for more information (available Monday to Friday 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.). For more information, visit


For fractures and orthopedic surgeries:

You can give us a call to book an assessment for your fracture or orthopedic surgery. We recommend that you follow your surgeon's advice on when to book in. Most patients book in around 2-4 weeks after their surgery for their initial appointment. 

NOTE:  Fracture and orthopedic surgery happened within the last 12 weeks. Physiotherapy clinics must have AHS approval if care needs to start later than 12 weeks.

For hip and knee replacements:

Search Surgery – Hip and Knee Replacement in the directory on to find a clinic and book an assessment. 

NOTE:  Surgery happened within the last 12 weeks. Physiotherapy clinics must have AHS approval if care needs to start later than 12 weeks.

Albertans can also choose to pay out of pocket or use third-party benefits to access the physiotherapy service provider of their choice, outside of the AHS contracts and outpatient services.

For more information on AHS-funded physiotherapy, please see the AHS Outpatient and Community Physiotherapy FAQ.


Sources of funding

bottom of page